Thursday, January 1

New Years Resolutions Overrated?

What if new year's resolutions are overrated?
(Happy New Year by the way)

Many of us decide to 'turn our lives around' every 365/6 days, which equates to so many minutes and seconds. Is it cause everyone does it, or is there a deeper reasoning behind it?

What's so significant about a year?
It's only the time taken for the earth to make it's way around the sun once, but we've given it so much more meaning than that.

We celebrate it. We countdown to it. We welcome it exclusively.

It changes lives. 
(at least for a few days for some)

I've personally succumbed to this yearly 'new years resolution' in the past.

But honestly don't you think that 365 days / 8760 hours / 525600 minutes / 31536000 minutes is a bit long to wait to make huge changes in one's life?

Okay, I have to admit, I might be a bit jealous cause I personally have no new years resolutions. I really don't know what to do with my life at this moment in time.

I could give myself all the generic resolutions - to get fit, stop procrastinating, be a better/nicer person, to quit stuff. But those are in fact goals that I strive towards all the time, though I admit I haven't achieved them to my liking yet.

I'm sure that's true for many of you too. Somewhere in the back of your mind there's always the urge to be healthier, be a better person etc. but only do these intentions become clearer when the year rolls around.

As the new year hits, you become motivated, inspired, determined to make all these great changes for your life. But the same goes, as the new year grows old, so does our intent to maintain all these great changes we made.

The new year grows old.
So do the resolutions that go with it.



Time is pretty subjective if you ask me.
We can measure it somewhat objectively with watches clocks, or stopwatches, but without them, time is just time and can mean something different to each one of us. It can get reaaaaaly complicated, but you got the idea. There's no measuring how long I took to write this post without the clock on my laptop.
I personally feel like I'm tearing through this pretty quickly if you ask me.

So while time is subject to our own opinions, let's try this.
What if a so called year was actually the length of a day?
So instead of new years resolutions it'd be kinda like an 'everyday resolution'.

Every day is worth celebrating.
Worth reflecting upon.
Being thankful for all the amazing things that happen, no matter how small.
Realising where we screwed up, and deciding to do things better tomorrow.
Maybe it'd be a bit impractical to countdown everyday, but hey, I won't object.

I think that's pretty awesome if you ask me.
We just drastically shortened the time it takes us to make be in a 'new years resolution' mentality. Cause really, everyday resolutions are so much cooler right?

We could take it even further, every hour, every minute, every second, every millisecond...
All the time.

All the time, we're constantly in a 'new years resolution' mentality, seeing every grain of time we experience and being thankful and trying to become a better person for each one indefinitely. We don't have to wait for how many millions of moments to pass before making such a great decision.

Life is it's own great decision we make.

That's the ideal if you ask me, and it's not impossible.
And that's why new years resolutions are so overrated.
Because we can be in a constant resolution.

Until next time~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers