Sunday, March 9

Being too humble becomes prideful?

"Oh, you're just being modest"

Modestly seems to be quite the thing these days.
It's so overused, I sometimes wonder if it's become somewhat self-destructive, being the opposite of what it's meant to mean. From being humble & selfless, to something along the lines of being prideful or even selfish?

I personally strive to be as 'humble' as I can in life...
I imagine myself as worthless, reliant on someone or something worthy. I make an effort to sideline any compliments for my achievements, I'm extremely modest about everything...

Though being completely humble quite impossibly hard.
A slight prideful smile when I do something well.
A cheer slipping out when success comes my way.
The little thought of myself being 'pretty-good'...

It makes me wonder, maybe the way I've been trying to be 'humble' has been completely wrong.. being humble can't be impossible.

Lately, I haven't been doing my hair in the mornings.
I think of it as an act of modesty, not caring about how I look, being less vain & less prideful.

Does not doing my hair make me more humble?
It's a pretty extreme way of being humble if you ask me, it makes me question "what's the point of even being humble?" "Is there really any point in not doing my hair?"
Pretty ridiculous of me...

Then I come to the realisation, "Am I trying to be humble just cause so I can be cool?"
Just so all you reading can be like, "Wow, this guy's so humble, he doesn't even care about his looks" - as you can see, it's very self-destructive.

Maybe I actually do care, & I'm using 'humility' as a way to get people to care...

The idea I'm trying to get at here is taking modest or humility 'too far'.

Being selfless feels great. It helps us be more appreciative of others.
Putting others before ourselves, & serving others gives great fulfilment.
Not trying to be the very best by degrading others along the way brings peace.

Being humble is necessary.

But somewhere along the way, by striving to be humble, by trying to appear weak so I can't boast about anything, I've completely degraded the potential to be great that I have within me - the potential that we all have within us.

I don't do my hair, I failed all my final year exams, I completely bummed around in my 4 month holidays, I try not to take credit for anything - I was being lazy, ignorant of my potential, & I believe now, nowhere near humble.

Being humble isn't about degrading ourself - even if it means being selfless.

We all have the potential to do something great.

But at the end of the day, it's not about how great we are that we accomplished something great. But about how these great things we accomplish can have an impact in other's lives.

Yes, we are to be great, as well as humble.

We are to live out our full potential, to recognise how much we can accomplish, but to do so in humility.

So my whole point of this?

I really want to encourage all of you, to not be afraid to be great. Maybe you're living out your greatness already, & I really look up to you.
Don't be afraid to leave the house looking good every morning, don't be modest when someone compliments you, don't hold back - do great things.

But remember to be humble, to continiously encourage other people to be great, & to do great things for the good of others.

Until next time~

Make A Move - Icon For Hire

Meant To Live - Switchfoot

You Are More - Tenth Avenue North

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers