Friday, May 23

No Data

For me being a person that generally despises technology a lot of the time, it's really quite hard not to conform to it. Yes, I've become one of 'those' have this desire to check Facebook notifications and tweet often.., though how much I despise the act of doing so...

Though I'm not so hardcore (excuse me if I just called you so) that I have a monthly plan for mobile data, meaning I don't always have my face planted to a screen. But occasionally I do get monthly data cause my mobile carrier gives it for free, and there, my self control loses itself and I have the tendency to check Facebook, Twitter or whatever all the time while I'm out.

And then the month ends -

It hurts.
Not being able to freely check online to see what's going on on everyone's timeline or dashboard. Sometimes I can't help it and take the dollar charge that comes with connecting to 3G data. Then my mobile credit quickly diminishes and I just can't afford it anymore...

That's me as I'm writing this on the train home, otherwise I'd be *happily* wasting time on social media.

So it's been like 3 weeks since I've had mobile data. I still remember the constant thirst for data as my monthly plan ended.

But as I'm sitting here, I realized this unhealthy desire is all gone... It amazes me.

What seems like something I couldn't "survive without" has no hold of me whatsoever anymore and I'm actually quite content without it.

Then it made me think of all the other things I supposedly couldn't survive without right now.
My phone iPod laptop headphones nintendo 3ds pokemon music and I'll stop here.

I came to the realisation that all these things had the same sentimental value as the mobile data, just 'objects'.  And if since they are the same, I could possibly be less attached to them if given the time to do so...

I've always dreamed of not being attached to anything. Of being free from this so called "addiction to materialism". I dunno, it will probably make me a better person overall, less selfish, more caring towards others, more social even?

It does seem quite amazing, to not have anything I'm so attached to. To not feel discomfort or even utterly vulnerable without something. To be free~

And all it takes is to let go for awhile, and slowly these things will lose their grip on me. Yes, that's all it takes to be free.

But letting go is always the hardest part.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers