Friday, March 13

Pokemon, Procrastination, & Productivity

I swear, the amount of blog posts where I have to remind you that my blog isn't dead is building up. I hope this will be the last one.

My holidays have come to an end and I just got through my first week of Uni as I feel obligated to say. But let's not dig into Uni just yet cause who likes talking about Uni anyway?

I had quite an unusually awesome summer break.
Awesome cause of how unusual it was.

You may remember me mentioning about what I got up to last summer break.
You probably don't actually as it's definitely not worth remembering.

I pretty much played pokemon on end for three months straight.
I'm crazy, as my friends always say... I may just have to admit to it.

I was pretty scared this summer break was going to be that all over again, but miraculously I hardly played any pokemon at all. As a result, I felt like I had accomplished something so great at the end of my break.

To make it easier on me, as I haven't blogged in awhile, I might just share what I actually ended up doing instead of diving into the deep right away and see where I go from there.

I think the last time I did this sorta thing was around the time I got back from overseas, so let's pick off from there.

The first memorable moment from coming back overseas was hands down seeing RED at Cloud Festival. I got to see one of my favourite bands live.
It still feels like it was all a dream to be honest, it was so amazing it was so surreal.

Finally managed to lose my voice (not even halfway through their set), head banged so hard I had neck ache for the next few days, also had a friend there to share the experience with me. Quite an unbeatable moment in my life.


So that was around the end of January. I still had a whole month plus to kill.
I desperately didn't want to stay home every and just game or watch tv shows/movies.
I wanted to be productive.

And to my surprise, I hardly touched my 3DS and didn't watch any TV shows for the next month.

I don't know exactly what to account for this certain "drive" which made me want to do something 'better' with my life. It may have been self-realisation, may have been influence from friends I was close to at the time, or may even have been "God-driven" as I once would have said...

But it was definitely a whole new experience for me, not being addicted to pokemon, fighting procrastination furiously, and trying to be productive.

I do realise "productivity" is a pretty subjective term.
To gamers, being productive could actually just be plain playing games.
TV enthusiasts, binge watching TV shows.
and the list can go on...

For a long time being productive to me was either studying hard, working in a job, or sharpening a skill that could be used to get somewhere in life.

Anything the lines of leisure was just something to feel guilty about, as I could have been doing something productive instead.

So in short, I pretty much ended up using the local library once again to get books out. Which mostly ended up being X-men comics, but hey...
I brushed off the thick layers of dust encasing my keyboard and gave it a jam a few times.
I picked up my neglected guitar which had been sitting in the corner of my room untouched for quite awhile and gave it a few strums here and there,
I even ended up going for a run once, something I hadn't done in like three years.
For the remainder of my time, I was driving with friends as much as a could, exploring the many beautiful rural/natural areas I had left unnoticed under my nose for the past 19 years.

I really feel like I was being productive these holidays.

But in all honesty, most of the things I mentioned were leisure activities, which I once would have accounted as anything but productive.

I guess the big question I want to ask today would be:
Is being productive more favourable, or so-called "better" than the contrary? And if so, defining being productive is pretty important then.

I believe that deep inside, we all strive to do something that resembles being productive.
That must mean it's the better choice of the two right?

We all go to school when we're young, mainly cause our parents believe that's the best way for us to be productive at a young age.
When the time comes, some of us may drop out 'cause we may just feel it's not for us and it's not getting us anywhere. It's not helping us be productive.
The rest will stay, and continue studying for many more years, eagerly wanting to do something productive with our lives.
Both paths end up leading reconnecting though to working a job that sustains us living.

Is that all there is there is to productivity though?

It can't be, 'cause for me right now, productivity has been pretty bullsh*t.
During my holidays, the time when not productive is alright, I was hardout productive.
Then Uni hits, and now here I am, trying so hard, and failing to be productive.
It doesn't make sense.
There must be something else to productivity.

It can't be so hard.
Can't be so futile.

Well I guess these are my transitional thoughts from a long holiday to back to studying. I'm sure you guys are all acing this so-called 'productivity'.

If anything, I hope that from this post you'll remember that being productive isn't about study study study and work work work. It's also about the leisure and breaks you take in between, those are just as important. They compliment each other really nicely.
It's all about balance.
Enjoy life.

Until next time~

Yours Again - RED

Who I Am Hates Who I've Been - Relient K

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers