Monday, October 21

Memento Vivere - Remember to Live

I finally got around to getting a copy of Flyleaf's 'Remember to Live EP'.
As I started reading from the album booklet, the words on the page really dug deep into my heart & tore me apart from within.

So would really like to share in the hopes that the following words may also have some meaning to you. That it may help you gain a wider perspective & may also provide comfort & healing if needed.

_______

My daddy died in the war. At the funeral I couldn't take my eyes off of the beautiful script tattooed on his hands. 'Memento' on his left, 'Mori' on his right. That was the first time I understood the words he had always spoken to me whenever he felt like I was being reckless with my time... or when I pitched a fit of anger over something petty... or when I went around discontented and depressed because of circumstances, over which I had no control...

"Memento Mori, my favorite one," he'd say, "we must remember that each day of each life is a gift. We must not waste the opportunities we have to be alive and to truly love."

I had wasted so many moments with my daddy because of my selfishness. I would wallow in my own problems and make them the center of my life. All the while, my daddy was fighting to show the world that if we would be selfless and love, then we could actually make the world a better place.

I heard him tell young soldiers who were deeply depressed, "you must take your eyes off of yourself, and put them on others." There was such a gentle love in his voice when he said this, never discounting the suffering in the heart of the solders while encouraging their caring for one another. He is the only one I ever knew who could speak with such bold truth and compassionate love at the same time.

The day after his funeral, I embroidered a patch on my coat that I committed to wear every day with the reminder that because I will die, I must remember to live, to be alive, and to do what I can while I'm still breathing and always choose to love with joy and grace. Also, when someone I love wants to live like they are already dead, the patch reminds me of my love for them and that I should not forget to pray for them to remember to live.

I embroidered the words Memento Vivere in the same beautiful script that once had read Memento Mori across my daddy's hands. I know I will die, so I must remember to live.

Maranatha Pearl
Daughter of the Commander

_______

Until next time,
Godbless~

Believe In Dreams - Flyleaf

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers