Wednesday, April 17

Our Bodies for God

I have to confess that I've been 'a bit' lazy with maintaining a balanced physical life lately.

I personally feel that keeping our bodies healthy & well/optimally functioned is one of the most important things in our lives. As God has created these bodies for us that can do so much, why not keep it well maintained & use it all for His glory?

So today, I'm going to give some insight on how we can physically keep our bodies in good shape either in our workouts, with fitness or with strength training.

Last year, I was very enthusiastic about strength training & ended up doing quite a bit if research into it.
The proper form of exercises, which type of exercises to do for specific muscles, the sets/reps range for different purposes & stuff like that.

But really, as I look back now, as lazy as I've been lately and still with all that knowledge, it really isn't knowing & being able to perform exercises that makes one fit or stronger.
It's the drive, the purpose, one has to perform the exercises.

Even with all the knowledge of what to do, of how to become stronger & fitter, work still needs to be done first before we can accomplish these things. Alot of the time, work & our bodies just doesn't go too well together. But with a little push, we can gain the motivation to work hard towards our goals.

I remember, when I first started doing something that resembled a workout, I obtained great results within a year. I had desperately wanted to get stronger as I'd been bullied alot in primary & was moving to a school where I knew I'd definitely be bullied again. But guess what, the only exercise I knew was pushups, & that was exactly all I did to get some decent results.

My workout was driven by fear.

It gave me the determination to push my body out of it's comfort zone, to overcome laziness & to work out. That really is what working out is all about, pushing our bodies past it's limit so that it can rebuild to become stronger each time.

But before that can happen, our bodies must enter into a zone of discomfort, a place that so easily makes us hate exercise & want to give up. Without a goal or a strong purpose in mind, we can so easily end up only focusing & remembering the pain of the workout & make us not want to do it again.

That's what has happened to me lately.
I've lost sight of my goal, of the reason I even still work out.

I initially wanted to work out more to be strong enough to get a go at Japan's Ninja Warrior. But lots of other goals rose up, such as getting stronger to learn a martial art, which slowly became too far fetched with the time on my hands. Then after that I just wanted to have better aesthetics, to have a healthier body in general, but I didn't want that enough, especially with me needing to do better in my studies & to set my heart right with God - so slowly my workouts went downhill.

Firstly, having better aesthetics/a healthier body isn't really a goal, it should be something that naturally comes out of working out in general. Keep asking yourself why - why do you want a healthier body, or a better looking body? Maybe it's for a girl, or just to show your graciousness to God by keeping your body in top notch. Now that's more of a goal.

Also, my initial goal slowly got sidetracked by many little, 'less worthy' goals.
I'm not saying it's bad to have many goals, in fact it can be good, it'll keep you busy working out with many things to achieve. But learn to prioritize your goals & before you make a goal your goal, make sure that it's specific, that you can actually work towards it. Also, it's important that it's something you really want to achieve deep down.
Keep focusing on your main goal, never lose sight of it.

So with all this in mind before you workout -
Why am I doing this?
What exactly do I want to achieve?
Do I really want this badly?
If you've got the first two sorted, & can answer yes to the last one, I can almost guarantee that you can successfully start or continue to maintain your journey in training your body to physically become better.

"Dear friend, I hope all is well with you and that you are as healthy in body as you are strong in spirit."
 - 3 John 1:2

Godbless~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers