Thursday, September 20

The Oath

It was another nice sunny day as I walked to school sometime in the year of 2010, my second year of high school. I was having my usual talk with God, feeling His beauty through His creation. This is when I swore an oath that I have been bounded by ever since.

I have never told anyone this, but I have to admit I tended to end up liking girls pretty easily then. I had always wanted to feel loved by another (other than my family) since.. when i was quite actually young. Having experienced the first year of high school, I knew I was going to get "desperate" sooner or later & make some extremely bad decisions.

That's when I swore the oath.
Something moved my heart that day, I said something along the lines of,
"God, I'm going to swear an oath, I promise I won't get into a relationship for all my days while I'm at high school."
I meant those words from the bottom of my heart when I said them that day.
It may really sound stupid, & to some extent, I actually do look back sometimes & think to myself, "really Jono, was there any point to that?"
Well there definitely was!

Swearing an oath to God is not something to be looked on lightly, I basically made a promise to the Creator of the universe, the one true God Himself.

After I swore this oath, on many occasions, I tried to "get around it" or even sometimes tried to break it.
Now this is where I'm glad I made this promise to God.
Every time I made this attempt, God stepped in. It would never go well, I would slam right into a brick wall, I would be forced to rethink & confess that I'd done wrong.
Well this shows how strong an oath to the LORD can be. It also strengthened my relationship with God.

Year after year, one brick wall after another I tried to break through, but God was & is gracious & wouldn't let me break my promise.
I have to admit, I made a promise that day, that I obviously couldn't keep.

Recently, I have been reminded of this promise & have been reflecting on my failure to keep this promise. I have been made to think, why is it so hard to keep, why am I searching for love.. when it has already been given to me?

I am loved. We are all loved.
Then why do we still so desperately search for love?

Sin.
This has caused us to forgot about the unmeasurable love we have already been given.
This has caused us to seek what we feel is love.

God loves us.
Why else would He create us, breathe life into us, even create us in His image.
Why would He send His only son, to die for us?
He definitely does love us.

Once we seal these truths into us, I can assure you, your desire for this type of love from this world will diminish.
I'm not saying we shouldn't date, or get married. Male & females getting together and being married is part of God's plan, but we shouldn't let this get in the way with our relationship with God.
Our love for God & vice-versa is the priority of our lives, the purpose of our lives.

After being forced to come to realization of these truths, I have decided I'm really really going to make a better effort in keeping my oath with God.
I know God's love for me, I know I'm loved, I know I have already been given love, I do not need to desire for love so greatly anymore.

Being bounded by this oath has also made me remember how God works in His own time.
We may really desperately want something instantly at a certain time, but a lot of the time, God knows it's not the right time. Such as how I wanted to get into a relationship, God said no, not now.
It may seem really hard to accept, but God does what's best for us, He knows what's best for us.
It is definitely worth the wait.

For Those Who Wait - Fireflight

I really hope that as you guys continue to live your lives, you may follow God's guidance, remember His love for you, & remember that it's always worth the wait, whatever you may be longing for.

Until next time,
Godbless~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers