Saturday, October 27

I Miss The Misery

Oh my~ I just had one of the most amazing experiences I've had in awhile.
Even though it took up nearly two & a half hours of my study time, I do not regret it!
It was so powerful, so touching, especially so, cause I unfortunately wasn't able to attend live.
I was able to have a close encounter with God again, through a live stream event provided by The Whosoevers. I am so blessed at the moment. I'm so amazed at the unity of us Christians. Even though the actual event took place all the way in the States, I was able to live stream it in NZ.
Ahh. it was just spectacular. God was definitely present at that event.

I found out about The Whosoevers because they mainly consist of Christian hard-rockers & I basically live off their music. What really drew me to them more though was their ministry. Despite being so popular as rockers in this secular world, they are still willing to step down. They're willing to show who they really are even though it may not "look cool" in the world of rock.

This is one of the main reasons why I only listen to Christian music. The band members. It allows me really to get to know the band members & know I'll be influenced in a good way. Christian music is also one of the things that helps me 'keep my heart straight' & fight my flesh successfully. I also enjoy being a supporter of these amazing brothers & sisters who are willing to give up their passion to serve God.


It was an event called "Desperate Times, Desperate Measures". Which featured Lacey Sturm (formally lead singer of Flyleaf) & Korey Cooper (Skillet's guitarist & pianist). Jen Ledger also turned up (Skillet's drummer). It was focused on how desperate our world is nowadays. With drugs, alcohol. suicides, sleeping around, all the bad stuff we see everyday. The three ladies answered questions about that stuff & provided insight to people (both Christians & non-Christians).

The night started off with Lacey, Korey, & Jen giving their testimonies, how they became Christians. It is one of the most powerful things in a Christian's life. It's the sharing of how God came down & touched us despite our filth. Everyone has a different story.
Lacey talked about how she was a hardcore atheist at one point, challenging Christian's belief, thinking it was stupid and stuff. I also found out she became a lesbian at some point. Things got really bad in her life, drugs, and all that. In the end, she'd decided she wanted to commit suicide. But God hadn't forsaken her. She was taken to church one day & reluctantly accepted to be prayed for. That day she opened her heart to God, she was completely changed, she was set free of her sin.
On the other hand, Korey was bought up in a pretty clean family. She said that when she was born, her parents wanted her to know God, even though they didn't know God themselves. So her parents actually turned back to God just so Korey could live a life that knew God. If I remember correctly, one day she was offered the commitment of following Jesus. She said something along the lines of "This is either going to be the greatest thing in my life, being accepted by the one true God, or the stupidest choice in my life".
Jen was also bought into a Christian background. She went to church since she was small. But the leaders in her church weren't exactly following the Lord wholeheartedly. She recalls one of the leaders saying something completely contradictory to the Bible passage they just read. So from there on, she decided to search the pleasures of the world. She became what the world saw as "cool". Having a boyfriend two grades higher than her & all that stuff. She continued to be ignorant to God until she was sixteen. Where God literally dragged her to America where she met Him once again. That's how she became the awesome drummer of Skillet too!
(That's their testimonies cut short from what I can remember)

They then went on to answer questions especially about relationships & our broken world. It was very captivating and full of truth. It was also quite interesting to know about Lacey & Korey's love lives. The only love life Korey actually had was with her husband, John Cooper (lead singer of Skillet). After all the questions, Korey, Lacey & Josh (Lacey's husband) played a worship session. Haha, I basically got to see them play "live", it was amazing. But the thought of that was quickly forgotten, as their songs were very compelling and really provided an atmosphere to have a close encounter with God. I couldn't recognize their first song, but right after it, there was an 'altar call'. Where people were offered the chance to come up to the front to be prayed for & to accept Jesus. Many people went! It was truly amazing. A lot of people willing surrendered to God tonight, how marvelous is that?! God was truly working right here.

All the songs were performed acoustically, Lacey on vocals, Korey on keyboard, & Josh on guitar. Haha, it was awesome kinda seeing a "musical collab" with a Skillet member & a (former) Flyleaf member.
Lacey continued to sing their second song, & I could recognize it.

How He Loves - Flyleaf
(It was an acoustic version though)

Then they sang another song which I couldn't recognize.
But guess what they sang last?
All Around Me!!! (my favourite by Flyeaf)
But what caught my attention even more is how surprised I was that they were singing this in a worship. Lacey explained she wrote this to describe her experience when she first encountered God. She could feel Him all around her.

All Around Me (Acoustic) - Flyleaf

hehe~ (the original & rocking version)

Well it was two and a half hours well spent!
Got to 'meet' three sisters in Christ which I completely adore.
But most important of all, I was able to feel the Holy Spirit & my passion for Christ was once again renewed. It was also amazing to see so many people enter the family of God.

I definitely recommend you to live stream their next event, if you're a Christian or not.
If you're not a Christian, it may seem stupid or a complete waste of time, but I pray for you.
I pray that you may let God have a chance to show Himself to you. To show you how He truly loves you & how He's real & legit. One chance isn't that hard right? I guarantee you'll never regret it!

Well actually, before I 'went to' this event, I was going to share/confess something to you guys.

This is the reason why I don't listen to 'secular music'

I Miss The Misery - Halestorm

I am so freaking addicted to them now. My ears just can't get enough of them. I seriously can't stop listening to them. It's so good~

But it isn't..
The music is good, but I realised alot of their songs have messages aren't that 'Christian' & a few of their songs have profane language. It's a temptation.

The music out there may be good, but the influences behind them alot of the time aren't. I'm not saying you shouldn't/not allowed to listen to non-christian music. But I'm just telling you to be careful what you listen to. As alot of the time the music we listen to influences our lives.

In total at the moment, I've become a fan of three 'secular bands'. Crossfaith, Epica, & now Halestorm.
Crossfaith is a really cool screamo band that originates from Japan. (cool right? asian rockers) They have a really unique metal style, combining 'electronics' into their metal.
Epica is a melodic metal band. Pretty unique stuff as well.
And now Halestorm. Completely marvelous. Her voice is just so.. addicting. I talk more about them in my new personal blog if you can be bothered trying to find it.
Even though I really love these non-christian bands, I make an effort to not listen to them as often. (with the exception to Halestorm at the moment)

I'd just like to finish off with a quote from tonight's event. Forgot which one of the girls said it.
"When your heart's right, you'll take care of your body in the right way."

That's about it guys.

Godbless~

3 comments:

  1. Well done as many of us you are struggling with the non christian music deal :P I was in the same thing, caught up with Linkin park in my beggining as a born again,why dont try listening to several different bands that can give you a powerful message with a pretty unique style some of them maybe pretty much soft but anyway you I can asure you should give them a try: Worth dying for,kutless, Red, Thousand foot krutch because I'm sure you've already listened to them or even seen them live; I hope you didnt find them awful to your ears 'cause I love them :P lol Also HB (band) They are from Finland Albums: HB frozen inside, HB the Jesus metal explosion, HB battle of God,all of them pretty amazing BTW What about some classics as Superchick or Barlowgirl, they still give me alot of hours rocking, also I hope you can help me to know about this band "BulletProof Messenger" if they are christian or not cause they have a pretty cool classic nu metal style :P , if you can please let me know at cesar7ruiz@hotmail.com I'll really aprecciate that. God bless and you keep strong!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well after check more of you blog I'm happy to see that we have alike music taste; The Letter black, Manafest, eowyn, Red, skillet all of them are totally awesome!! check this out Natalie Grant I will not be move
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyEMJBhCtU8
    Keep strong, God bless brother!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my.. this is pretty amazing stuff brother!
      Literally every band you mentioned there I love listening to. I'm also surprised you know about HB as well. Found them recently. It's really sad to hear that BarlowGirl are disbanding though, but nonetheless it's exciting to see where God will take them.
      I'll definitely get back to you on "BulletProof Messenger".
      And yes, we do have a very similar music style. Awesome to meet you!
      I'll check out Natalie Grant. Thanks.
      Be strong & God bless you too!

      Delete

Followers